Thursday, May 19, 2005

In Praise of Customer Service

It seems to be the norm to complain about shoddy customer service received - so, for a change, I thought I'd post about some excellent customer service I've received in the last few days!
Item No. One: Land's End (UK)
Many moons ago, when the world was slightly younger and I had more money, I bought a shirt from the Land's End catalogue. This was quite a few years ago. It rapidly became my favourite shirt, and has (so far) worn well. Note that 'so far' - when I took it out of the washing machine on Sunday, the shirt showed definate signs of wear - one of the button-down collars had torn away from the rest of the shirt (taking the button with it).
Now, Land's End is famous for their "Guaranteed. Period" slogan, though I didn't hold out much hope for a shirt this old. I emailed their customer service anyway and, (please remember, this was on a SUNDAY), got a reply, from a real live human being (i.e. not an automated answer) about 30 minutes later, asking for more details. I replied and again a fast response was received, offering to send a couple of material swatches that might possibly match and so patch up the hole.
The swatch arrived yesterday and, although it is a different type of material, it will do fine as a patched repair. As soon as I have more money in my pocket, I'll be buying from Land's End again!

Item no. Two:
Integral Memory
I had an Integral Envoy 512mb USB Flash drive of which I made a great deal of use - until the day when the LED refused to light up and all of the various computers on which it was used refused to se it at all. The flash drive was dead. It was an ex-flash drive (It's blue, by the way, though not, as far as I know, Norwegian!)
I emailed the customer service at Integral to ask if anything could be done. They replied with a returns number, suggesting I post it back to them for testing. This I did last Saturday. Yesterday, there was a card in my letterbox asking me to collect a package from my local post office. Integral had sent me a brand new Envoy to replace my dead one!

Kudos to Land's End and Integral Memory - they deserve the praise...

No comments: