Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Radiators

It's been an interesting couple of weeks, it has to be said. (well, it doesn't have to be said, but if I didn't say it, I'd have nothing to put in my blog!)

First, the living room radiator sprung a leak. Thsi is the second radiator to go in the living room in about 6 years - luckily I have no carpet on the floor, or I probably wouldn't have noticed it as quickly as I did (I got up from an evening of TV zombiedom and noticed a puddle. As I am house trained, and I wasn't doggysitting at the time, it was either a leak from upstairs or a leak from the radiator. Gee Whiz Sherlock!)

A little praise for British Gas, who service my central heating. I noticed the leak at around half past midnight. I mopped up what I could, shut off the radiator and put a bown under the leak (once I had found it) this took about 15 minutes, so it was 00:45 or so when I called the emergency hotline. It was answered within a couple of rings, the chap who answered was helpful and polite, and arranged for another chap to come and have a look the next day. You're expecting me to say I had to wait in all day for the service chap, but I didn't - he was there at 9am and arranged for a replacement to be delivered and installed the following week (last Friday, in fact) The only thing left is the old radiator, which someone is apparently going to collect from the front of the house...

The weeknd after the leak, I visited a friend in Sandy, and was given the 2 most recent paperbacks by Alexander McCall Smith (The Kalahari Typing School for Men and The Full Cupboard of Life - both in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series) which was unexpected! Both great reads, gentle humour, and if you haven't already read the first three volumes, I'd recommend that you do so.
I get back from Sandy and find yet more books - another friend had sent me some stuff hje thought I'd enjoy (so far, he's right!)




No comments: